We recently gave you a primer on what working on a ship is like. If you don’t have a college degree, one easy job to get is as a steward. You need to know that it is often called one of the most difficult and stressful jobs on-board,
If you qualify, your learning will mostly be on-the-job training. Running all day long. You will get stressed since you are a passenger-facing crew member. And yes, some passengers are butts. The job includes many different aspects of making them feel good. They spend a lot of money to be there and the line wants them to spend more AND come back.
Backstory => Want a job on a ship?
Some of the things you’ll be asked to do:
* When passengers board, you’ll be inside the door and smile. You will show them to their room if it’s ready…usually by 3 pm, or show them where to relax and get something to eat.
* Most ships will have strong men deliver their big suitcases to each room.
* Upon arrival at the room, go in and show them the lights and other key things.
* You may also have to keep the common areas of the ship tidy. Pick up litter, clean the windows, polish the brass.
* Memorize where things are located. You have to make sure people know where to go.
* Report any anomalies to your boss.
* As the new guy, you’ll be asked to do all the grunt work.
* Keep your spirits up. Some guest can be very demanding. Chin up!