As a speaker, ask yourself what it is you are trying to accomplish each and every time you open your mouth. Except for eating and drinking, of course.
What is it you are trying to accomplish with your marketable content?
When we are speaking to a group – edifying the group is the goal. Your listeners are first and foremost.
But the offer we make for stuff in the backroom. What’s that for? What are we trying to accomplish there?
Indeed we want to give the listeners more. But why? Because we are nice guys? Sometimes.
I can think of other reasons:
1. Credibility – Your book, you video, your paper, your course, your workbook = credibility. You have worked hard and you want your listeners to really benefit. “Here you go.”
2. Building visibility – great stuff in the back of the room. Give it away and encourage your audience to pass it around. Before long everyone will know you are a nice guy.
3. Branding – the more stuff with your name on it in more hands equals a stronger brand.
4. Make money – not everybody can, nor do they want to or should they feel obligated to give everything away gratis. But if it’s money also that you have in mind, this should be considered up front.
5. List building – horse trading. Give away a book for contact info so you can beg, borrow, harass and spam till you get the desired results. See number 4.
6. Teaching others – purely altruistic. There are such people still around.
Make up your mind what you will give away after you determine WHY you will give it away. Then put your products together.
Contact us for a free 37-page eBook – Diary of a Cruise Ship Speaker.