It’s not rocket science to know that professional speaking opportunities have tanked. Conventions cancelled, Service club lunches cancelled, Cruise Ships anchored and other venues not allowing outsiders in.
So what do we do?
Use this time to hone your craft. Things will get better in the end. If it’s not better – it’s not the end.
OK, some ideas.
- Write new material. The Internet still works, so you can do a deep dive on a new subject.
- Learn a new skill...I’m getting better at Photoshop. I have only used 40% of the features – don’t ask me about layers – now I’ve got the time. My SF Bay Area is on Lock-down. I’m driving my wife nuts, but I’m holed up in my man-cave. My Yorkie sits my lap.
- Learn a new skill...Oh, I said that. I’m learning how to put narration into a PowerPoint talk and have it play without me. I speak at retirement homes and they are not letting anyone in. So am losing money. My plan is to mount my Genghis Kahn talk and get it to each resident’s PC so they can watch it. It’s about an hour long, so it would clog if I tried to load it to YouTube.
- Learn the process of speaking on cruise ships. Gigs will be back. 24 million passengers sailed in 2019. Billions of dollars involved. They will need speakers. So take our seminar now – and get accepted by agencies; then get ready for whenever this mess is solved. And it will be or the bacteria will take over. They were the first life and may be the last.
- Read how celebrities give their talks. One of the best books is on Steve Jobs’ technique. Emulate successful people.
By the way...it was Aliens.
Send us a comment to continue the discussion.