Google Finds Speakers
Provided you have an expertise, can talk and can put together a good presentation there are still 2 big steps to getting on board as a cruise ship lecturer.
The 2 biggest steps are:
1. to be accepted by an agency to represent you to the various cruise lines.
2. to be accepted by a cruise line – the agent makes the pitch on your behalf.
In order to be accepted by an agent you need:
1. Titles and brief descriptions of 4-5 talks (depends on the agency) on topics they are looking for. Each agency looks for expertise in different areas. We have a list from the various agencies of who is looking for and who does NOT want what.
2. Links to actual presentations you have given … the best way to do this is to make a recording of you in front of a live audience and put it on YouTube.
3. A detailed resume establishing your credibility – work experience, books written, radio appearances, online visibility, testimonials. I have found the best way to do this is to create a website. I can do this for you or walk you through it.
4. To pass the interview with the agency – done by phone and lasts for 1-1.5 hours. Quite thorough.
SoC has been through all this successfully and can introduce you and make a recommendation to our agents provide you have the above.
In order to be accepted by a cruise line the agent must satisfy the cruise line’s request for:
4. Special Interest
– where you fall in. Something that might be appealing to the cruising demographic.
The ultimate decision is made by the Cruise Director. You know, the guy who runs everything on board.
Rick has been speaking on ships for 7 years. He is also the one who twisted my arm to get me, Bill, to apply. He walked me through the whole process and now I consider myself a veteran. He didn’t teach me my expertise or how to speak or how to establish my credibility and such … just the application process and specifically what pleases agencies and cruise directors. It worked.
Many people ask us, “How do you get these speaking gigs?”
I can create a website for you
. It is what I do in my ‘other’ life. It is not super costly or complex. Something along the lines of www.speakoncruises.com
And while I am doing that, you work with Rick to hone your topic. He has more experience at this point in dealing with the different lines. I will help with the titles and descriptions.
Rick is a member of the National Speakers Association. He will go through speaking tips, powerpoint creation, and so on with you as well. This can all be done by webinar.
Or if it fits your schedule … we could meet you here in NorCal and do all of this in one pretty long day. Including making the Youtube video … effectively putting all of your tools together.
Once this is done, Rick and I will individually email our respective agents and give them a heads up that your application is on its way.
You fill out the applications and we wait.
Are you ready to start?
Contact us. You know you want to.